Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters - AmeriCorps National Direct Program
Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters empowers low-income families with the skills to stretch their food budgets so their children get healthy meals at home, as part of the No Kid Hungry campaign to end childhood hunger in America. Cooking Matters serves families across the country through hands-on, six-week cooking courses; interactive grocery store tours; and mobile, online and educational tools. Participants learn to shop smarter, use nutrition information to make healthier choices, and cook delicious, affordable meals.
AmeriCorps programs provide opportunities for Americans to make an intensive commitment to service. The AmeriCorps network of local, state, and national service programs engages more than 80,000 Americans in projects around the nation each year.
Share Our Strength is seeking two full-time AmeriCorps members to help with its Cooking Matters program in Boston, Massachusetts.
The Cooking Matters AmeriCorps member will work with Cooking Matters Massachusetts Cooking Matters staff to implement effective hands-on courses and tours teaching families at risk of hunger that healthy cooking can be delicious, enjoyable, and – most important – affordable. Member responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Work with chefs, nutrition educators and agency/site managers to implement courses, tours, and events using Cooking Matters core curriculum and Cooking Matters at the Store curriculum.
- Complete all preparations for class including, but not limited to, assembling and transporting equipment, materials, and groceries, and preparing volunteer staff.
- Complete program evaluation and other program reporting documentation as necessary.
- Work with, and maintain positive relationships with agencies serving low-income clients that host Cooking Matters courses and tours.
- Assist with the development of Cooking Matters outreach materials and handouts for Cooking Matters audience, as needed.
Volunteer Management and Training:
- Provide volunteer instructors with training and materials needed to teach courses and tours and make sure they follow procedures and course guidelines.
- Support and manage volunteer instructors during class to make sure they have all required materials and communicate key messages.
- Provide timely and consistent communications with volunteers.
- Participate in opportunities to recruit volunteers. Build relationships with chefs, dietitians, nutritionists and other potential volunteers to maintain enough trained instructors to reach course goals.
- Provide recognition of volunteers.
- Help with special events such as volunteer appreciation/recognition events.
- Work with supervisor to set personal goals and follow the work plan created for the AmeriCorps National Direct Member.
- Maintain a high level of working knowledge related to hunger, nutrition standards, regulations, and trends.
- Collaborate with other Cooking Matters Massachusetts and Share Our Strength departments, as necessary, to ensure high quality service to individuals within our network of agencies.
- Ensure all necessary course reporting is in order in database and network resource center.
- Complete additional reporting and communications contributions as required, which may include blog posts, newsletters, photographs, social media, and volunteer and participant story gathering.
- Submit timesheets and expense reports in accordance with AmeriCorps and Share Our Strength guidelines.
- Participate in national, state and other trainings as requested – some will require travel out of state.
Cooking Matters AmeriCorps members are part of local and national Cooking Matters teams and take part in all associated training and activities. AmeriCorps members will receive orientation training from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters staff as well as the Cooking Matters Massachusetts staff. Members will be part of a peer network of AmeriCorps members from around the nation and be a part of regular training opportunities including monthly webinars and two in-person retreats.
Work is performed in a variety of office and kitchen settings inside and outside of Cooking Matters Massachusetts. Member will use computer and phones extensively. Member regularly lifts, moves and carries objects of up to 50 pounds, such as food and classroom supplies. Exposure to a variety of foods in residential, community, and industrial kitchens is to be expected. In a class or tour setting, member may stand and work at counters and stoves for extended periods of time. Normal working hours include 1-3 evenings per week and occasional weekend work. Member will drive frequently throughout the state due to work performed in the community, therefore ownership of a car is required to hold this position.
At least 18 years of age
Reliable car required
High school diploma, or GED
Interest in nutrition and/or culinary arts
Driver's license and good driving record
Public speaking skills
Ability to balance a variety of tasks simultaneously
Volunteer management experience preferred
Experience working with youth and/or adults in formal and/or informal education programs
Enrollment contingent on successful passing of criminal background search (including a FBI fingerprint-based criminal history check)
TERMS and BENEFITS:
Full-time member term: 1700 hours of service within a 12-month period. Position to start September 1, 2017 – August 31, 2018. The full-time member will receive a living allowance of $12,764, a basic health plan, training, child care (based on income eligibility), and an AmeriCorps education award of $5,815 upon successful completion of service.
For questions about Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters AmeriCorps National Direct program, contact:
Ellen Damaschino, National Training Manager, at email@example.com
Submit a resume and cover letter, via email, stating why you want to take part in Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters AmeriCorps program and why you are interested in the Massachusetts position.
Email cover letters and resumes to Veronica Palladino, Program Associate, at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or visit the AmeriCorps Recruitment Site at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/publicRequestSearch.do (Cooking Matters Lead Program currently accepting AmeriCorps applications are listed below with contact information). Equal Opportunity Employer.