Join our work to inspire parents to shop and cook healthy foods for their kids.
Cooking Matters is helping end childhood hunger by inspiring families to make healthy, affordable food choices. Our programs teach parents and caregivers with limited food budgets to shop for and cook healthy meals. Cooking Matters is a campaign of Share Our Strength, an organization working to end hunger and poverty. We offer interactive grocery store tours, hands-on cooking classes, smartphone apps and other resources – all free, and run through trusted local community partners. Cooking Matters serves families across the country and is a trusted leader in food skills education, conducting research and supporting partners that reach families in need.
Share Our Strength is seeking a full-time AmeriCorps member to help with its Cooking Matters program in Boston, Massachusetts.
AmeriCorps National Direct Program: AmeriCorps programs provide opportunities for Americans to make an intensive commitment to service. The AmeriCorps network of local, state, and national service programs engages more than 80,000 Americans in projects around the nation each year.
The Cooking Matters AmeriCorps member will work with Cooking Matters Massachusetts staff to implement programs that teach parents and caregivers of children 0-5 with limited food budgets to shop for and cook healthy meals. Member responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Work with chefs, nutrition educators and agency/site managers to implement courses and tours using Cooking Matters core curriculum and Cooking Matters at the Store curriculum with emphasis on serving caregivers of children ages 0-5.
- Complete all preparations for class including, but not limited to, assembling and transporting equipment, materials, and groceries, and preparing volunteer staff.
- As needed, fill the culinary or nutrition instructor role.
- Complete program evaluation and other program reporting documentation as necessary.
- Maintain positive relationships with agencies serving parents and caregivers of children 0-5 to host Cooking Matters courses and tours.
Volunteer Management and Training:
- Provide volunteer instructors with training and materials needed to teach courses and tours and make sure they follow procedures and course guidelines.
- Coach volunteer instructors on how to use training materials and curricula to communicate key messages in ways that are relevant and applicable to the lives of program participants, including offering regular constructive feedback.
- Provide timely and consistent communications with volunteers.
- Identify and participate in opportunities to recruit volunteers. Build relationships with chefs, dietitians, nutritionists and other potential volunteers to maintain enough trained instructors to reach course goals.
- Provide recognition of volunteers.
- Help with special events such as volunteer appreciation/recognition events.
- Work with supervisor to set personal goals and follow the work plan created for the AmeriCorps National Direct Member.
- Maintain a high level of working knowledge related to hunger, nutrition standards, regulations, and trends.
- Collaborate with other Share Our Strength departments, as necessary, to ensure high quality service to individuals within our network of agencies.
- Ensure all necessary course reporting is in order in database and network resource center.
- Complete additional reporting and communications contributions as required, which may include blog posts, newsletters, photographs, and volunteer and participant story gathering.
- Assist with local social media initiatives and ordering supplies for entire Massachusetts team.
- Submit timesheets in accordance with AmeriCorps and Share Our Strength guidelines.
- Participate in national, state and other trainings as requested – some may require travel out of state.
Cooking Matters AmeriCorps members are part of local and national Cooking Matters teams and take part in all associated training and activities. AmeriCorps members will receive orientation training from Share Our Strength's Cooking Matters staff as well as Partner Cooking Matters staff. Members will be part of a peer network of AmeriCorps members from around the nation and be a part of regular training opportunities including monthly webinars and one in-person retreat.
Work is performed in a variety of office and kitchen settings inside and outside Cooking Matters Massachusetts. Member will use computer and phones extensively. Regularly lifts, moves and carries objects of up to 50 pounds, such as food and classroom supplies. Exposure to a variety of foods in residential, community, and industrial kitchens. In a class or tour setting, may stand and work at counters and stoves for extended periods of time. Normal working hours include 1-3 evenings per week and occasional weekend work. Member will drive frequently throughout the state due to work performed in the community, therefore ownership of a reliable car is required to hold this position.
- At least 18 years of age
- High school diploma, or GED
- Driver’s License and reliable car required
- Interest in cooking, nutrition, health and wellness, food justice, and/or parenting skills Driver's license and good driving record; reliable car
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Computer skills, especially within MS Office suite, and willingness and ability to learn new software and online platforms.
- Ability to balance a variety of tasks simultaneously with poise and professionalism.
- Experience with volunteer management desirable, but not required.
- Enrollment contingent on successful passing of criminal background search (including a FBI fingerprint-based criminal history check).
TERMS and BENEFITS:
Full-time member term: 1700 hours of service within a 12-month period. Position to start as soon as possible with the intention to fill by 1/1/2020 at the latest.
The full-time member will receive a living allowance of $18,250, a basic health plan, training, childcare (based on income eligibility), and an AmeriCorps education award of $6,095 upon successful completion of service.
For questions about Cooking Matters AmeriCorps National Direct program, contact:
Chef Ellen Damaschino, National Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit a resume and cover letter, via email, stating why you want to take part in Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters AmeriCorps program and why you are interested in the Massachusetts position.
Email cover letters and resumes to Alicia McCabe, Program Director, at: email@example.com
Or visit the AmeriCorps Recruitment Site at https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/publicRequestSearch.do (Cooking Matters Program currently accepting AmeriCorps applications are listed below with contact information). Equal Opportunity Employer.